What Causes Mold Growth in the Basement?

The basement of any home serves a whole lot of purpose for every family. It can be a family area where kids and their parents get to lounge around, play board games, and watch movies. It could be a place where families can store some of their seasonal clothes and decorations, among other personal effects. The basement can also serve as a spare room or a laundry room. 

The basement can be a multi-purpose space. Some homes utilize it as a spare bedroom. Regardless of how it is used, it is prone to mold growth.

Whatever purpose a family has for their home’s basement, it is essential that the space remains to be clean and free from molds. The basement is one of the most common places around the house where molds may love to grow. 

Home and Garden Television attempted to explain why molds can quickly grow in the basement. In one of their posts, they explained that the dark and sometimes damp environment quickly gives way to mold growth.

“Basement mold is often the result of a source of moisture — leaky foundations or condensation from appliances are typical culprits. One of the first steps in the prevention of basement mold is to ensure that your basement is free of any moisture and doesn’t support a damp, humid environment where mold can thrive.”

Check out the full write-up here.

Dangers of molds in the basement

Popular health website Webmd.com discussed the many health risks associated with mold exposure. They mentioned that various parts of the house might have molds, including the basement, and for this reason, homeowners should be vigilant about the damp spots and moisture that could develop. 

“In some cases, mold in your home can make you sick, especially if you have allergies or asthma. Whether or not you’re allergic to mold, mold exposure can irritate your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs. Here’s what you can do to combat mold problems, and take care of yourself and your home. Mold Reactions: Who’s at Risk? For people sensitive to mold, inhaling, or touching mold spores can cause allergic reactions, including sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. People with serious mold allergies may have more severe reactions, including shortness of breath. In people with asthma who are allergic to mold, breathing in spores can also cause asthma attacks.”

The rest of their explanations can be found here.

Home improvement website DoItYourself.com meanwhile shared some tips on how to get rid and prevent mold growth in the basement. One of their tips includes keeping an eye on the humidity levels within the area. 

“Monitor Humidity Levels: High humidity levels provide the perfect growing environment for mold. You must ensure that humidity levels within your home, especially in the basement, are within acceptable levels. Use a hygrometer to measure the humidity level. A high humidity reading of 45 percent or more can be conducive to mold growth.”

The full write-up can be found here.

Molds can indeed affect the health and wellness of every household member, regardless of which part of the home they grow. The mold must be removed immediately to prevent its devastating effects on health.

Residential mold damage remediation in San Diego

If you have mold in your home, it’s best to work with a mold remediation company to ensure the mold is safely and completely removed and that your home is safe to live in. The team at Mighty Dry is here to help! Contact us today to get started!

Contact Mighty Dry for Remediation Services

If you need immediate assistance please call 858-293-8322

please call