Water Damage can be insidious, destructive, and financially debilitating. In some cases it may be considered minor, but if left untreated, it can become expensive, affect the occupants’ general health and well-being, and at the same time affect the whole structure, and even the property’s resale value.
It is important that every property owner be aware of the different causes of water damage and what can be done to prevent it, or if it is too late and it has occurred – what can be done to immediately rectify the situation and prevent further damage. SuperDry San Diego
So what are the causes of water damage? WikiPedia tried to explain the causes of water damage in one of its entries. “Water damage can originate by different sources such as a broken dishwasher hose, a washing machine overflow, a dishwasher leakage, broken/leaking pipes, and clogged toilets. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, 13.7% of all water used in the home today can be attributed to plumbing leaks.” Read the whole WikiPedia entry here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_damage
Here’s a more detailed explanation on the causes of water damage:
- Plumbing problems – Sewage and toilet back ups, sink and tub overflows, bursting and frozen pipes, and even minor leaks can cause water damage. The leak does not have to flood a certain room or the whole area to damage the structure, an undetected leak can cause moisture, and later on encourage mold growth in a home or a commercial space. Commercial Drying And Restoration
- Structural Problems – Roof leaks as well as home structural damage may cause water to get into the home. Such incidents can definitely cause water damage, and so careful and routine check up and maintenance of home fixtures should be undertaken regularly.
- Appliance and home or commercial equipment problems – Appliances and equipment that require a water source like washing machines, refrigerators and dishwashers can mafuntion and cause water damage in an instant. Make sure these appliances and pieces of equipment are properly installed and carefully maintained to avoid such issues. This also includes malfunctioning HVAC Equipment.
- Weather-Related Occurences – Storm, typhoon, hurricanes and other weather disturbances that can cause flooding that can inundate homes will definitely cause water damage.
- Community or External Flooding – Public Sewage and Drainage problems, as well as overflows from nearby lakes, rivers, seas and water systems can cause flooding that can enter homes in low-lying areas.
- Home or Commercial Fire – When a home or a commercial property suddenly catches fire, fire sprinklers automatically activate, and fire fighters douse water and chemicals unto the whole structure in order to put off the fire. The part of the home that survived the fire (if any), will definitely be water-damaged, and will need immediate remediation and restoration. Mold Remediation
It is always important to remain alert and vigilant against water damage, since most of its causes are preventable. Routine maintenance Services is definitely a key to prevent most of the causes. If it still occurs, always seek professional help from water damage restoration experts.