Heavy storms can show the areas of weakness in your home, whether its through water leaking into your home or a breezy draft slipping in under the door. Let’s dive into the water damage prevention tips that you need to know to protect your house during heavy rainfall.
Water Damage Restoration Tips in San Diego
- Have the foundation inspected regularly. The base of your home is designed to be the first line of defense against storm damage. If the base of your home is wiltering away, it can let in water from heavy rainfall. Aim to have your home’s foundation inspected once a year to catch these problems before they become severe.
- Clean the rain gutters. These gutters are designed to flow water away from your home. If they are clogged or broken, the diversion tactic will not work. This is one of the easiest ways to keep your home dry during heavy rainfall. Periodically check and clean your rain gutters to prevent water from seeping in your home.
- Check the roof. A solid roof should last anywhere between 10-25 years. If it has been longer than 10 years since your roof was installed, start scheduling check ins to make sure there are no signs of weakness, as this could lead to heavy leaks inside your home. This is especially important if you already noticed signs of sagging or areas of weakness on your roof.
- Inspect the basement. The basement is at risk for major flood damage because it is the lowest point in the household. All leaks will find there way to the basement one way or another. Furthermore, if the edges of your house on the outside are not secured, water will easily seep into the basement during periods of heavy rainfall. It’s important to schedule regular inspections of the basement to prevent major flooding from occuring.
- Inspect the seals on all windows and doors. If the seals on any windows or doors inside or outside your home are compromised, then you will likely start to experience leaking from these entry points. To prevent this, check the caulking and insulation regularly.
Mighty Dry to the Rescue
If you have experienced flooding or water damage from heavy rainfall, call the experts at Mighty Dry to restore your property. We have the professional experience needed to help take care of any water damage, big or small. Visit our website for more information or call to make an appointment today!